• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hurting33

Have a custody plan in place, there is a criminal investigation for one of the children being hurt. The police who is investigating told me not to send children back. The father attorney went and trying to get me in contempt of court. Told judge that the officers told me not to send them. The judge got mad at me and said they are not aloud to do that. He ordered that I return children for the schedule visit. So I had to hurry up and get a PFA for children. Now I have a contempt hearing in two days, what could possibly happen? I don't know the law but I think the officers and myself should have the right to protect the children.

Just Blue

Have a custody plan in place, there is a criminal investigation for one of the children being hurt. The police who is investigating told me not to send children back. The father attorney went and trying to get me in contempt of court. Told judge that the officers told me not to send them. The judge got mad at me and said they are not aloud to do that. He ordered that I return children for the schedule visit. So I had to hurry up and get a PFA for children. Now I have a contempt hearing in two days, what could possibly happen? I don't know the law but I think the officers and myself should have the right to protect the children.
hurting33, Despite the fact that you don't have any other posts on this site, you have been a member for 10 years and know that your state name is required to advise you properly. ;)

LdiJ

So, are you saying that instead of obeying the judge's order to return the children for the scheduled visit, that you went around the judge and got a PFA for the children and then still kept them from the scheduled visitation? If that is true, I hope you have a really good lawyer because the judge is going to be really angry and you will need someone to make your points understood by the judge.

hurting33

hurting33, Despite the fact that you don't have any other posts on this site, you have been a member for 10 years and know that your state name is required to advise you properly. ;)
I put my state name i
So, are you saying that instead of obeying the judge's orehildren for the scheduled visit, that you went around the judge and got a PFA for the children and then still kept them from the scheduled visitation? If that is true, I hope you have a really good lawyer because the judge is going to be really angry and you will need someone to make your points understood by the judge.
I asked the judge if I could get the PFA after the motion and he said yes cause that's the only thing that could change the visit not the police, all I was asking is because the father's lawyer asked to hold me in to comtempt. So there's a hearing on that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I put my state name i

I asked the judge if I could get the PFA after the motion and he said yes cause that's the only thing that could change the visit not the police, all I was asking is because the father's lawyer asked to hold me in to comtempt. So there's a hearing on that.
You ignored a court order. So yes it is possible that you could be held in contempt. But it is possible if you can prove it was to protect your children, then you may not be.

hurting33

You ignored a court order. So yes it is possible that you could be held in contempt. But it is possible if you can prove it was to protect your children, then you may not be.

Yes, the officer and chief of police told me not to send the kids down to their father's since there is a criminal investigation and a cys/cps investigation. The judge told me the only one who could over rule the custody would be a PFA so I asked the judge after the motions hearing if I could get a PFA he said he didn't care. So I did. But I still have a contempt hearing I was just wondering if anyone ever dealt with that and what happened? I was just following the police order, and the police even said I couldn't get into trouble, but apparently that isn't the case if I have a contempt hearing coming up. I just don't want to go to jail.. never been there and wouldn't want to be there. So yes I am worried.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, the officer and chief of police told me not to send the kids down to their father's since there is a criminal investigation and a cys/cps investigation. The judge told me the only one who could over rule the custody would be a PFA so I asked the judge after the motions hearing if I could get a PFA he said he didn't care. So I did. But I still have a contempt hearing I was just wondering if anyone ever dealt with that and what happened? I was just following the police order, and the police even said I couldn't get into trouble, but apparently that isn't the case if I have a contempt hearing coming up. I just don't want to go to jail.. never been there and wouldn't want to be there. So yes I am worried.
It is wise to remember that many LEOs are not well-versed in the law.

The bolded kind of sounds like "go ahead, but I can still find you in contempt."

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i have dealt with the situation many times. The. Issue is police and cos have no right to tell you to ignore a court order. You would be give a chance to purge if found in contempt. What you should have done was file a motion to suspend visitation until the investigation was completed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">