• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contestable Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aggiemom

What is the name of your state? CA

I purchased a 2 yr contestable life insurance on my son, effective July 2003.
My son was shot and killed on January 29, 2005 at the age of 24.

The shooting is under investigation.

The insurance company requested a police report or newspaper clippings. Since I was unable to obtain a police report, newspaper clippings were sent instead. I also signed a release for my son's medical records so they could conduct their own investigation.

Since it was not suicide, what grounds would the insurance have to deny the claim?

somarco

From your post it appears the claim is still under investigation, not denied.

Without access to the policy language, I can only guess as to why the carrier may deny the claim.

If there is a misreprentation of fact on the application, the policy can be rescinded and all monies refunded.

If there is an exclusion for felony actions, the claim can be denied. In other words, if your son were in the act of committing a felony that preceded the shooting, the claim can be denied.

If the investigation concludes there was willful intent on the part of your son to provoke the incident with the intent of committing suicide by the hand of another, the claim can be denied.

There may be other situations that can cause the claim to be denied but these are some that come to mind. None of them may be applicable in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">