• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contested life insurance claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

01bursm

i live in new mexico. i was named beneficiary on a group
life insurance policy by a former boyfriend that I was
involved with for 8 months. We ended the relationship
but stayed very close friends. his son who is 30 yrs old
is now contesting the claim. does he have a legal right
to this claim.

ALawyer

Sure the son wants the insurance money. I'd like it too. But I know that I have no claim to it. I doubt the son has a much better claim than I do, but merely saying "I want it" is not the basis for a claim, even if the son would have been the heir in the absence of a beneficiary designation. He'll claim his father "intended to" revoke the designation but where I came from, that is not enough.

The insurance company does not want to get in the middle of this, or risk having to pay the same claim twice, so it likely will put the proceeds into the court ("interplead") and let the claimants fight it out.

You'll have to get a lawyer to help you on this, or settle with the son. DO NOT TRY TO SETTLE ON YOUR OWN or you'll likely risk prejudicing your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">