• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contested Will after distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NineApples

Hi,

last year I was left a 5% share of an estate in a Will. I was named, alongside my ex-husband at the time, who also was named and left 5%. The will does not have any caveats that we must still be married at the time of death. Both of us are not related to the person who left the will although my ex-husband had the connection with the deceased and I was named purely because we were married at the time. When we divorced, the will was never amended to include his new wife. The will was written 14 years prior to the person passing away.

At the time of being notified that I had been left this money, my ex-husband asked me to forego my 5%. I did not do this and he then tried to contest this with the executor (a solicitor in a law firm). The executor told my ex-husband that the will was water tight and the have since distributed and finalised the estate. My ex-husband has now engaged a lawyer and is threatening to take me to court to claim my 5%.

Has anyone had experience with something like this before? I think that seeing the estate has been settled and distributed that the mater is finalised. Am I correct in thinking this to be true?

Thanks for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">