• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting a will - How long do I have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbbkeys

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
Our father has passed away for some time and my stepmother is making every excuse not to show us our copy of the will. She claims that it is cut and dry and since she is his wife, she does not need to show us the will.

What options do I have here? How long do I have to contest the will once I see it?

If I need to hire a lawyer, what can the lawyer do for us?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

bbbkeys

I do not think she has done the probate yet. Can you please explain further what the probate can do?

bbbkeys

Any help I can get from people would be great. I am afraid that I lost out in the will and I am his blood son. I would like to know what my options are.

BelizeBreeze

bbbkeys said:
I do not think she has done the probate yet. Can you please explain further what the probate can do?
Contact the probate court in the county where he died and give them his name. If she has filed probate then the will is a part of the file.

If she has not filed, then you or anyone else can open protate intestate, 'without a will' and force the person holding the will to either produce it or proceed without it.

If you don't understand the word itself, then after you contact the probate court and find out what is happening, you should also contact a probate attorney in the same county.

bbbkeys

pojo2 said:
How long is "some time" that he passed away?

Are you a minor?
No, I am not a minor. I am 39 years old. He only passed away a month ago.

BelizeBreeze, yes, she already filed the probate. I guess at this point, I need to contact a probate attorney in Monmouth county?

nextwife

Actually, for VIEWING the will, you do NOT need an attorney. If you wish to first see what's filed, the probate is a PUBLIC record. You or anybody can view it. Many counties now have many records online, otherwise contact that county and find out how to request a copy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">