• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contesting life insurance beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JC45

Hello,

I need help! My aunt passed who was more like my mom. I took care of her the last 4 years when she could not take care of herself. I found 2 life insurance policies with another beneficiary.... her sister.. my real mom. However, this person has not talk to her or seen her in over 4 years. I paid for everything to take care of her over the last 4 years. I don't think the beneficiary deserve this money. The beneficiary didn't come to the funeral. We don't get along so she will not do whats right and give me the money. Do I have a case to fight her for the insurance policy ?

Thank you,
JC45

PayrollHRGuy

Your feeling that she doesn't deserve it isn't grounds for it being overturned.

What state are you in?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

I need help! My aunt passed who was more like my mom. I took care of her the last 4 years when she could not take care of herself. I found 2 life insurance policies with another beneficiary.... her sister.. my real mom. However, this person has not talk to her or seen her in over 4 years. I paid for everything to take care of her over the last 4 years. I don't think the beneficiary deserve this money. The beneficiary didn't come to the funeral. We don't get along so she will not do whats right and give me the money. Do I have a case to fight her for the insurance policy ?

Thank you,
JC45
Interestingly, if you were to, somehow, get the current beneficiary removed (you won't be able to - this is general and hypothetical), then the funds would revert to your aunt's estate. If she had a will, it would be distributed per the terms of the will. If she didn't have a will, then it would pass per the laws of intestacy in your as-yet unnamed state. In most states, that would mean that your aunt's children (your cousins) would get it. If there are no children, then the aunt's surviving parents (your grandparents) would get it. If there are no surviving parents, then your aunt's siblings (your mom and, maybe, others) would get it. In no case would YOU get it.

Dandy Don

Your aunt had the right to leave her money to whomever she wanted. It's a shame that you didn't have some type of agreement with your aunt to be paid for your services.

Eekamouse

Perhaps you can make friends with your mom and she'll leave her estate to you when she goes. That's about the only way you are going to inherit anything your aunt left. The life insurance benefits go to your mom no matter how you feel about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">