• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BetsyJ1965

I live in New York. Just found out through two ancestry DNA tests that my father is a long time family friend who I have known for 53 years. This was confirmed by my mother. Unfortunately he passed away two years ago not knowing I was his and having no other children. He willed his farm and his estate to a neighbor because he had no one else his wife and stepson passed away prior. Can I contest this?

LdiJ

I live in New York. Just found out through two ancestry DNA tests that my father is a long time family friend who I have known for 53 years. This was confirmed by my mother. Unfortunately he passed away two years ago not knowing I was his and having no other children. He willed his farm and his estate to a neighbor because he had no one else his wife and stepson passed away prior. Can I contest this?
No, you cannot. He left them to his friend in his will. He could have done that even if he had known you were his daughter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm curious - whom did you think was actually your father?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">