• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Continuation of health coverage on ex-spouse's policy after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stevec

Hi!

I have been covered under my ex spouse's medical insurance policy in the state of Massachusetts. All of us are Mass. residents, and my ex worked in Mass. Recently, my ex started a new job in NH. Note that we are still all Mass. residents, and the employer is in NH.

The NH employer is claiming that they are only required to provide ex-spousal coverage for three (3) years following the divorce. The employer is a school system in the state (not a private school). My ex is a teacher.

Is this true? Under Mass. law, as I understand it, health insurance is available for ex-spouses, long-term.

Neither of the ex-spouses are remarried, and we have joint physical-legal custody of minor children.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Steve

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">