• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Continue Using Credit Cards During CH7?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

Hello, I have spoken to an attorney last week concerning my financial condition. Per him I meet all the requirements for ch. 7 and I will probably be officially filing next week. My attorney indicated that I may continue to use my credit cards until the letters to my creditors have been sent. Per him, and transactions within 60 days of filing bankruptcy I am responsible for. Is this correct? A friend of mine who has also went through ch 7 said he didn't pay a time when he maxed all his cards out for food.

Thanks,
Mark

This is all up to the trustee AND the CC companies as to whether they will contest recent charges or not...BUT...to be safest, stop using CC now, or on the day you file at the latest. AND, only use them for food and gas and the like...if the CCs see that you've bought a new TV after you've filed, they're likely to contest it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">