• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Continuous Coverage and Group Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Eileen Kern

What is the name of your state? Texas

Background:

Our family has two pre-existing conditions: 1) cranial-facial surgery on our daughter 11 years ago with periodic checkups since, and 2) my wife has had two benign brain tumors 15 years apart the last time was 4 years ago.

We have had continuous group coverage for 24 years and are currently on Cobra.

I am a W-2 contractor and my current company does not make group insurance available to hourly employees.

Questions:

What are the ramifications of moving from group insurance to individual insurance with pre-existing conditions, taking into account we have had continuous coverage?

What are the ramifications of moving from individual insurance to group insurance at a later time with pre-existing conditions, taking into account we have had continuous coverage?

What are the laws regarding continuous coverage and group/individual insurance?

Is there anything else we should consider when deciding the type of insurance to get?

Thank you,
Curtis

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you move from a group plan to a group plan, HIPAA will offer you protection from any issues with pre-existing conditions. When you throw an individual policy into the mix, however, it gets a little more complicated. Here's a link that will explain it a bit better than I can do it in this format:

http://www.insure.com/health/hipaa2.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">