• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AndreaDawn

What is the name of your state? I'm in Japan for a year, so I don't know about the laws here, I hope someone can help. I'm not even sure if this is the appropriate forum to put this in.

Okay, here goes. I'm 20 years old, and 6 months ago, (when I was 19) I applied for a so called internship to Japan through my University. The people in charge of this program have told us many lies. We were told for example we'd make approximately 1,500 Canadian Dollars, when we're only making 1,300 dollars. We were told that the school we work for would cover our rent, but it turns out we're paying that.

Anyway, a couple days ago I took a really good look at the example contract they gave us (I wasn't even given one, my friend was), and the actual contract we signed, and there are several discrepancies. The largest being that the school was supposed to pay our taxes and insurance, but in the contract we signed, we have to pay it.

Well, when we signed the contracts, I was really uncomfortable about it. It was the day after we arrived, and we were completely jet lagged. I asked to take it home and read it over night, but they said no. They said I had to sign it right away. I was really uncomfortable with that, and I said so. They then said it was exactly like the one we already saw. I said I never saw one, but my friends all said they had, and said it was okay, and I should sign. I still said I felt uncomfortable, but everyone else had signed, and they said we had to go see the principal to have him sign it too, so I did it.

Now I want to know what legs I have to stand on if I want to terminate the contract, or ask them to pay what was origianlly stated.

Thanks for your time!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if you were in the US, this is the answer you would receive. You can follow it as the best advice you will get on a message board no matter what country you are in:

We cannot interpret a contract we have not read. You will need to take it to a local attorney for review - only someone who has read the contract in its entirety can advise you as to its enforceability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">