• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract stating money loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

studio914

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Last fall I loaned 2 friends money. They were starting a gallery together and so we drafted an agreement and the three of us signed it. I was to be paid back by February 2011. I have not been paid back and the two friends no longer work together. They agreed to split the debt to me, however, one of them now refuses to pay. He is still the owner of the business and LLC but claims that he doesn't have to pay me. I believe he does because even though it was not a notarized contract it is a signed document and he is still the proprietor of the organization. What do I need to do?

justalayman

did you loan the money to the friends or the LLC?

How much money are we talking about here?

If you loaned the money to the friends (as a unit) they each would generally be severally liable for the debt. That would mean you could go after either one for the entire amount?

If you cannot get the guy to pay, your recourse would be to sue him, obtain a judgment, and attempt to enforce the judgment/

davidmcbeth3

Your doing better than most...you have a contract.

The guy's idea that because it was not notarized that it is non-enforceable will not go to far in court.

He took the money and now because he hates the business and no longer wishes to pay.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your doing better than most...you have a contract.

The guy's idea that because it was not notarized that it is non-enforceable will not go to far in court.

He took the money and now because he hates the business and no longer wishes to pay.
That was almost a complete thought...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">