• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Before i begin please do let me state that this is regarding EU states;

A few months ago I engaged in a contract with someone (I was the contracting authority). The contract is between EU and North America but is written and signed on EU grounds - also the contract is 100% based on laws and regulation of the particular EU country we are located in.

In the contract for terms of payment we stated a certain amount of work hours a week and a maximum salary (no exact figure) for those particular maximum working hours/wk.

Additionally in the contract (which is a business contract) we also agreed that 3 times a year travel expenses will be covered by me for traveling + accommodation. We did not however specify exactly at what months of the year this would take place;

The questions:

1) since this is a business contract, does it go without say that the travelling will be for business purposes even though this is not specified on the contract?;
2) does there need to be prior written consent from us towards the other person that we agree for them to travel and that we will cover the expenses - and if there isn't does this make us liable to restitution of their travel expenses even though their travel was purely for leisure and not for business?;
2) the fact that the above (1, 2) are not specified on the contract does this make the contract void?;

I feel like i need to state my opinion here and i don't know if legally i am 100% correct but here it is:

- i have not agreed when the travel time for them would be;
- i considered that it goes without say that if your travelling with my dime your here to work and not here for your own selfish reasons (i.e family friends and leisure);
- i consider that it goes without say that if you are required by any business owner to travel for them they would first agree (in writing) for your travels and would plan ahead for your expenses;
- neither of the above has happened;
- i agree to a negotiable salary that i will pay I'm not trying to get out of paying for my responsibilities even if the contract is void - for this i have made myself extremely clear many times and i will take care of it. I consider however that the travel expenses for this situation as described above are not my problem (for which trip i did not agree to btw(this is not in writing) and was notified 1 week to 10 days prior to this persons arrival);

Id like to receive some help regarding this issue please, i will greatly appreciate any advice that anyone experienced in dealing with such cases could share and if possible law articles that i can find and study regarding this.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">