• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract with Accountant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I have a company in Missouri and signed a one year contract for accounting services beginning December 2000. I paid a $200 setup fee and pay $50 per month for "financial statements". At the time I signed up, I verbalized my needs/requirements and timeframes, which are still not being met. All my deliverables to date have been received on the day they are due to the state tax/IRS (i.e., quarterly tax submittals, company/personal income taxes) though I stated that I need them at least a week in advance to adequately prepare for the payments and review for correctness (have already had one done wrong which resulted in my payment of penalties/interest - if I'd have had time to review I would have caught mistake). I have never recieved any financial advise/direction, even though I verbalized this need as a condition of signing the contract and have asked for several times. I want out of this contract now; I believe the contract has been breached by the accounting service. Because my timeframes are not being met and requested advise is not being given, does Missouri consumer law allow me to do so if there is no early termination clause in the contract?



Oral promise

You can terminate the contract if you can prove that they agreed to deliver the taxes a week early and to give you financial advise and that they have not done so. Such an oral promise, when it is important to the contract is binding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential