• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract with Sales Representative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Illinois
I took a survey online and a sales rep came to my house uninvited. They convinced me into a contract regarding an online learning institute, but my doctor told me at my appointment the next day that I was not fit for the job because physically I was impaired. I tried to contact the sales rep but the number on the receipt was disconnected. So I issued a stop payment order on the check I sent to pay for the online learning institute. Not too longer after the next day, the sales rep came back and asked me why I canceled the payment, and I explained my situation, but he refused to cancel the contract and threatened to ruin my reputation by going to my job to collect the money and that I would have to settle with his company. A week later they sent me a large package containing additional software to install for the courses, but I did not open it and sent it back. A series of collection letters followed, but I did not answer any. Finally, I received a notification that a suit was filed against me by the company’s representative and they’re trying to collect the alleged debt as well.

quincy

You could have a difficult time justifying your breach of contract. You will need to read over the online "survey" to see if you, inadvertently perhaps, invited a visit from the sales representative.

Here is a link to information on the Illinois 3-day right to cancel law, which covers only some transaction cancellations and then only if the right to cancel is exercised properly:

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/3dayright.html
For how much is the online learning institute suing?

Thank you for sharing. Please let us know how court goes.
Will do.
You could have a difficult time justifying your breach of contract. You will need to read over the online "survey" to see if you, inadvertently perhaps, invited a visit from the sales representative.

Here is a link to information on the Illinois 3-day right to cancel law, which covers only some transaction cancellations and then only if the right to cancel is exercised properly:

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/3dayright.html
For how much is the online learning institute suing?
Thank you, will do. Also, the price is pretty small, $6000 dollars.

quincy

Will do.

Thank you, will do. Also, the price is pretty small, $6000 dollars.
You might find some low-cost legal assistance through a legal aid clinic in your area.

You can have all of your documents from the Institute personally reviewed by an attorney to see if the claim filed against you has merit. The attorney can help you draft a response to the lawsuit.

You have a limited time to answer the complaint.

You might find some low-cost legal assistance through a legal aid clinic in your area.

You can have all of your documents from the Institute personally reviewed by an attorney to see if the claim filed against you has merit. The attorney can help you draft a response to the lawsuit.

You have a limited time to answer the complaint.
thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">