• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contracting Company will not pay!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florida.

We completed our proposed job and the contracting company refuses to pay the balance due upon completion. This was all agreed upon before commencement of job. Do we go after the contracting company? The homeowner, who initially hired us? Both?

PayrollHRGuy

Then that is who you should certainly sue. It doesn't concern me some that the only acceptance of the contract is by email though.

Should I sue by small claims? Or is there another way?
I thought about a mechanics lien on the homeowner's property... I know that with small claims, I won't see my money for a while...

PayrollHRGuy

If the amount is within the Florida small claims limit ($5000) then you can sue them in small claims. It is cheaper and likely you would get into court sooner.

If you are considering a lien you need to read through the law. If you have questions come back here and ask them. Construction Lien Law.

Also, should I file small claims in the county where the job was? The contracting company is out of Jacksonville (Duval County) and the job was in Flagler County.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">