• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contracting Inheiratance Away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Texas

Is is posible to contract your share of your fathers estate away, before his death? I signed a contract back in 94' stating that I do not want to recieve part of his Property upon his death which was a small business. My mom had passed in 89' and my brother who has plenty of money, and I, split from a business that my father had worked to start in 94'. Upon my sell out, I was told to sign the contract that my brother had a lawyer draft, and if I did not sign, he would take me to court, and bankrupt me. So, I signed the letter, because I did not have the money to fight him in court. On the sellout, I got far less than I felt was the fair amount on my share of the company. My father died in 03'. Is it possible to go back and take my brother to court over this. I was not sure if the time limit started in 94' or in 03' at my fathers death? Thanks for any advice!


Dandy Don

Senior Member
The time limit starts from the date of the document you signed. Take it to a business law attorney to have him review your options, but your case sounds quite weak, not to mention that a statute of limitations probably means you have waited too late to pursue this. You should have consulted an attorney before you signed the document.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential