• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crumb

What is the name of your state? Utah
I hired a contractor to remodel my rental home. He asked for 3500 up front which I paid. He did a bunch of work and would give me an invoice when it got to be about 3000. Each time I paid him cash within a day of getting the invoice. I have paid him now over 25000 He is now over 2 months past our verbally agreed finish date and he won't complete the job. He tells me he will every time I get ahold of him but then doesn't. Week after week this has been going on. I looked up recently if he was licensed on the state database and neither he nor his company shows up. Also his company business license expired 2 months ago. He sent me a 2700 invoice which I have not paid yet because he wasn't getting things done. Since I have paid him 3500 upfront I am ready to just end the relationship. Any advice here?

Last edited:

In Utah, “[n]o contractor may...commence or maintain any action...for collection of compensation for performing any act for which a license is required...without alleging and proving that he [or she] was a properly licensed contractor when the contract sued upon was entered into, and when the alleged cause of action arose.” Utah Code Ann. § 58–55–604.
The best advice is to hire an attorney, and file a formal complaint
https://dopl.utah.gov/investigations/complaint.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">