• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikec37363

What is the name of your state? TN
We hired a contractor to put a new liner in our pool & get it up & running .
After about a month he got the liner in . We filled it with water & it looked
great . He had some electrical problems that he said he got fixed . He had
a couple of minor things to fix when he asked for the remainder of his
money . I figured since they were only minor it would be fine , plus I wanted
the whole ordeal over . Well it quit running a couple of days later & has leaks .
Is there a way to get some of my money back from a verbal contract ? Are
there any criminal charges I can file ? He kept telling me he was coming back
to finish , but now he doesn't respond at all .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. If the guy isn't performing per the contract, and refuses to do so after you formally demand it, then you will need to sue the bad guy.

EDIT: Personally, I'd suggest finding a professional to fix the mess that was created.

adjusterjack

Agree. Once you have repaired everything and paid for it, you'll no how much to sue for.

No fraud here. Just incompetence.

ALawyer

One person's "minor problem" may be another's major one. What you did by paying in full before the job was completed is understandable, but as you know see, was not the wisest thing.

I'd suggest that you tell him you're going to hire another contractor to get the problem fixed, and hold him responsible to pay for the needed repairs for a faulty and/or incomplete job, and if he does not respond sue him (ideally in small claims court) and tell your story to and give him a bad review with the Better Business Bureau, and on appropriate Internet review and social media sites.

quincy

One person's "minor problem" may be another's major one. What you did by paying in full before the job was completed is understandable, but as you know see, was not the wisest thing.

I'd suggest that you tell him you're going to hire another contractor to get the problem fixed, and hold him responsible to pay for the needed repairs for a faulty and/or incomplete job, and if he does not respond sue him (ideally in small claims court) and tell your story to and give him a bad review with the Better Business Bureau, and on appropriate Internet review and social media sites.
I agree with all but the online reviews, unless the reviews are carefully drafted. Too many people who write reviews exaggerate and embellish and generalize their single experience, and straying from provable fact and pure opinion can make the review-writer vulnerable to a claim of defamation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">