• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor is not paying Invoice...advice End-User

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foleyt

What is the name of your state? Colorado

We did some work for a Contractor (Equipment and Installation) for $40,000.00.
They paid the $10,000.00 down payment, but have now gone silent for the balance...70 Days.

The work was done at the end-user (there Customer) site, they happen to be a US Govt. Agency.

My question:
Can I contact the end-user NOT TO ASK FOR MONEY, but to let them know the equipment we delivered and installed at their facility has not been paid for?

Thanks!

quincy

They paid the $10,000.00 down payment, but have now gone silent for the balance...70 Days.

The work was done at the end-user (there Customer) site, they happen to be a US Govt. Agency.

My question:
Can I contact the end-user NOT TO ASK FOR MONEY, but to let them know the equipment we delivered and installed at their facility has not been paid for?

Thanks!
You will want to contact the contractor who owes you the money. If the contractor does not pay for the work, you can sue.

I agree that, for the amount of money involved, having an attorney would be beneficial.

Your attorney can send a demand letter to the contractor with a threat to sue if the balance owing is not paid. A demand letter sent by an attorney can be more effective than a demand letter sent by you because it tells the recipient that you have already considered legal action.

foleyt

You will want to contact the contractor who owes you the money. If the contractor does not pay for the work, you can sue.

I agree that, for the amount of money involved, having an attorney would be beneficial.

Your attorney can send a demand letter to the contractor with a threat to sue if the balance owing is not paid. A demand letter sent by an attorney can be more effective than a demand letter sent by you because it tells the recipient that you have already considered legal action.
Yeah...I'm sure a demand letter from a lawyer will help, at least in our terms it says they are responsible for collection fees.
Thanks!

zddoodah

I doubt this question is what you actually intended to ask, but if it is, we obviously don't know what abilities you have, but there is no reason to doubt that you "can contact" the owner of the project.

If you were a subcontractor on a federal construction project, there is almost certainly a Miller Act surety bond against which you can make a claim. Contact someone with the relevant government agency and ask for a copy of the payment bond. Any contractor doing work on federal projects needs to know about and understand the requirements of the Miller Act.

quincy

I doubt this question is what you actually intended to ask, but if it is, we obviously don't know what abilities you have, but there is no reason to doubt that you "can contact" the owner of the project.

If you were a subcontractor on a federal construction project, there is almost certainly a Miller Act surety bond against which you can make a claim. Contact someone with the relevant government agency and ask for a copy of the payment bond. Any contractor doing work on federal projects needs to know about and understand the requirements of the Miller Act.
Please stop. We ALL know what someone means when asking if they “can” do something.

foleyt needs to wait 90 days before filing a claim, if payment has not been made by that time.

Last edited:

foleyt

UPDATE
Amazing once I mentioned the Miller Act and the rights it provided me and the Local Congressman's name who is involved with the project...we received the payment.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

quincy

UPDATE
Amazing once I mentioned the Miller Act and the rights it provided me and the Local Congressman's name who is involved with the project...we received the payment.
Thanks to everyone for your help.
Thank you for the update, foleyt. I’m happy all worked out well for you.

Litigator22

My question:

Thanks!
Are you unaware of your statutory lien rights?! Colorado Revised Statutes, Sections 38-22-101 et seq.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">