• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasheffe

California
My landlord hired a gardener for the house we live in. The gardener was caught on our patio removing a bicycle and was told not to touch it. At the time, he stated that our landlord had told him he could take any "junk" around the house. We told him it belonged to us an not to touch anything. When he left, we found a second bike from our backyard missing as well as a portable A/C unit and several yard tools. When I spoke to my Landlord about it, he stated he did not tell the gardener this, however, his daughter is the one who handled the hiring. He states he did not instruct her to tell the gardener this either. I gave him a list of the missing items and he says he will speak to the gardener but that he is not sure if he will still have the items or if we can be recompensed. The total value of everything is about $1200. What are my options here?

STEPHAN

I would have called the police.

Once some time has passed it will be very hard to prove that it was the gardener.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">