• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor threatens after contract canceled.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

farnath

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My parents signed a contract with a company that passed all of our background tests.

The contract said that they would waterproff the basement under certain conditions. The company would do the work within 10 to 120 days of the signing of the contract. The contracts' validity being contingent on a successfull financing deal with their sister Morgage company. (They were the ones who wrote this in the contract.) We would allow them to do the work with 48 to 24 hours notice and use our house as a display piece, in return for a 600 doller discount.

The financing was unabtainable, and when the company called to see if we still wanted to do it, dad said it was impossible and to please cancel the contract. They agreed, and we heard nothing more. The 120 day period expired August 31st. No work was ever done on the house, and the only papaerwork signed was the original work request and an application for the Financing.

This morning, December 16, a represenative called my mom and demanded entry to the house. Mother reminded him of the cancelation of the contract, due to their sister company being unable to find the financing, and the thug stated that if we didn't do the work (regardless of their ability to fufill the terms THEY wrote on the contract...) they would sue for Breach of Contract.

I told my mom to go to her lawyer tommorow. What else can they do to get the twerp to go away?:confused:

Last edited:

H

hexeliebe

Tell mom to take sugar cookies when she meets with the attorney. Old goats like sugar cookies :D

And stop worrying. Sounds like you have a strong defense (based solely on what you posted).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">