• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractor threatens to put a lien on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssfymf

What is the name of your state? California
My house is only half way built. My husband had a verbal argument with the contractor. The contractor has walked off the job and refuses to come back. He has not paid his workers for 3 weeks, teling them, that I have not paid him. I gave him $15,000.00 last week and I haven't seen him since. He states I owe him $20,000.00 and is threatening to put a lien on my property. He won't sign off the job and I can't get a contractor to come out unless he does. What can I do to get my house finished. I need to get the roof up before the rain comes. What can I do? Can I put a lien on his bond?

arodyak

arodyak

Arizona.
All I can say is good luck. Our contractor walked off July 22nd with our house only being about 3 or 4 weeks away from completed. He asked us what we were unhappy about and to write it down, so we did. Our roof is metal and is full of patches and the concrete porch that goes around the house has cement chipping off. He got mad and walked off and would not return our phone calls. We filed a complaint with the Regisrar of Contractors for abandonedment and shoddy work. The contractor told the ROC that he wanted to finish the job. Right. We both got lawyers and have corresponded back and forth all the time him saying he would finish but he does not show up to work. We are advised we can't fire him because that would be breach of contract. It just keeps going back and forth and has cost us $5000 in lawyers fees so far. He also took all the lights, appliances, tile and won't release the cabinets from the cabinet maker. We spent a whole day in mediation to come up with an agreement and he won't even do what the mediator tells him to do. On top of that our bank won't let up have the last two draws to finish the house because they may be held liable by the builder. It seems that contractors have all the rights and not the property owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">