• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractual vacation rescinded?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N.I.

Florida

Greetings, I have 30 days vacation in my contract with my employer and used 16 of them in 2018. I was not able to use the remaining 14 due to workload and rolled them over to January as per my companies roll-over policy. The policy states I have only the month of January to use my remaining 14 days, but now my manager says that she is not going to allow me to take that many days off in January, effectively robbing me of X amount of days. Is this legal for her to do?
Thank you.

eerelations

You have an actual contract? (As opposed to an offer-of-employment letter.) What is this contract called? ("Employment Agreement" or "Contract of Employment" come to mind - but what is your contract called?)

eerelations

Also, whatever kind of document you have, when did you start working for this company? Are you an employee or an IC?

N.I.

I have an actual contract stating I have 30 days vacation. I am a full-time employee and have been for 8 years.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, what time period is your contract for? From what date to what date?

eerelations

I have an actual contract stating I have 30 days vacation. I am a full-time employee and have been for 8 years.
So what the actual contract start date?

And before you ask, employers in the US aren't obliged to provide any paid vacation whatsoever to their employees. So unless your contract (assuming it is in fact a legal contract and not an employment offer letter) specifically states that you get 30 days' vacation each and every year that you've worked since that contract began, then you are effed.

But if your contract does guarantee 30 cays' vacay per year, and you feel you aren't getting that, then your employer may be in breach of contract. Consult with a local attorney with expertise in contract law about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">