• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contribute to sep ira for tax year 2018 and withdraw 10K for house in 2019?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davidan

What is the name of your state? FL

Hello

I plan on being a first time home owner in 2019, and I don't think I would make much money in 2019 since it will take me a while to find a job again. Since I won't be making much in 2019, I thought it would be great if I can use the 10K withdrawal from the IRA.

From what I've read I can withdraw $10k without any penalties if it's going towards my first home purchase. If I contribute to my IRA in 2019 for the tax year 2018, is it ok to withdraw it a few weeks later?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? FL

Hello

I plan on being a first time home owner in 2019, and I don't think I would make much money in 2019 since it will take me a while to find a job again. Since I won't be making much in 2019, I thought it would be great if I can use the 10K withdrawal from the IRA.

From what I've read I can withdraw $10k without any penalties if it's going towards my first home purchase. If I contribute to my IRA in 2019 for the tax year 2018, is it ok to withdraw it a few weeks later?
If you are not currently employed, you are not going to qualify for a mortgage. Therefore that could make the whole issue moot.

LdiJ

My tax rate is high for 2018, it won't be for 2019. So if I do this I can save a few K from my 2018 taxes
Lets say that you are in the 22% bracket for 2018, and will be in the 12% bracket for 2019. 10k is the max for a first time homebuyer so you would save 2200.00 on your 2018 taxes, but would turn around as spend 1200.00 on your 2019 taxes for the same money, for a net savings of 1000.00. So, you won't be saving a few k, but you would save a modest 1k.

davidan

Lets say that you are in the 22% bracket for 2018, and will be in the 12% bracket for 2019. 10k is the max for a first time homebuyer so you would save 2200.00 on your 2018 taxes, but would turn around as spend 1200.00 on your 2019 taxes for the same money, for a net savings of 1000.00. So, you won't be saving a few k, but you would save a modest 1k.
that's still better than nothing. That pays for some of my furniture for the house at least.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">