• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CONTROLLING SISTER HOLDING ME LIABLE FOR COMPENSATION

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kasey13

Hello,
I am in Washington state and recently was given an ultimatum by my older sister and needed to move out of her house. My father had a storage unit where he kept all his stuff and stored some of my stuff when I was a minor. The storage unit was originally in my Father’s name and then it got switched to my brother in law’s name. The storage unit has never been in my name. She’s claiming that she was paying the bill on it just in case I may want it when I am older but now that I am on my own apparently this is now my responsibility that I will be charged for disposal fees on this. My sister had also asked me if I would like to attend her event with her in Chicago and she stated that she would be funding the whole trip. This talk of the trip was given before the ultimatum when I decided to move out. Now she is claiming that I owe her for half the trip cost because “I had plans to leave before then” this is untrue. After I moved out I offered to come back and retrieve the rest of my belongings she told me no and that she would do it. Now she is saying that if I don’t let her know when to drop them off within 24 hours I will be charged with dumping and storage fees. As a former resident in her home for over 2 years don’t i legally have the right to a 30 day notice to remove my stuff? How much of this am I legally liable for? I know she’s doing this to punish me for leaving
Thanks in advance

adjusterjack

1 - You should have taken your stuff when you left.

2 - Find a suitable vehicle and go get your stuff NOW.

3 - If she won't let you, sue her for the used value of your stuff.

Anything else going on is BS and if you let her control you, that's on you.

Kasey13

She won’t allow me to come into her house to get my belongings she stated that she is going to drop them off to me

HRZ

Its not your responsibility to pay fees on a storage unit in her name
..but get your stuff out pronto

You might be a tenant in her house..and 'll,s have laws to follow in terms of getting rid of tenants stuff...look them up
But smart to get stuff out pronto

HRZ

Ps IF you were a tenant ...sis is dead wrong to lock you out....tenants have piles of rights

quincy

Here is a link to a FreeAdvice staff-written article with general information on evicting a house guest: https://real-estate-law.freeadvice.com/real-estate-law/landlord_tenant/eviction-of-unwanted-house-guests.htm

Your sister can evict you from her house with notice. Your immediate concern, however, appears to be collecting your possessions from her house before she disposes of them.

Depending on the size and amount of goods you need to move, you can rent a U-Haul within her 24-hour deadline and have your items moved from her house to the U-Haul.

This is a short-term solution. You will need to find a place to live.

Once you have your possessions, you can check into legal recourse.

xylene

How much is your childhood memory hole actually worth?
That's really something to consider as she lords it over you.

You aren't a party to the storage contract, so any 'disposal fees' for them would be on the party named on the contract, her husband.

Honestly, you don't even have access to the facility, so her claims you are liable for the fees that MIGHT arise should they abandon the unit is absurd.

Also -her claim that you retroactively owe her for a trip she paid for is absurd. Of course she would be free to charge you if you have taken the trip yet (yoy are kinda unclear on that) but you'd be free to not go and not pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">