• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convicted sexual predator parenting time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm asking on behalf of my niece, Bio Mom. I realize that's not the preferred method here, however, she is intellectually disabled and obviously that is part of the circumstances to be considered here.

She resides in Washington State. She and her eight-year-old daughter live with my parents, niece's Grandparents. They are 68 & 69 years old.
My niece has never had a job and receives disability benefits. She participates in state-funded training and behavioral classes to assist with social and cognitive skills. We have seen some improvement over the years with these classes, but I don't know if she'll ever be able to hold a job, really live on her own and raise GN on her own.

Niece had a one night stand at 18 years and my great niece (GN) is the result. Bio Dad wanted nothing to do with GN afterward. At the time, my niece was completely open to him and his family being involved, none of them were interested.

A couple of years after GN was born, BD and his own father (baby's Bio Grandpa) were arrested and sent to prison. They were convicted of raping a 14 year old girl. BD having met her online, starting a sexual relationship with her and then later sharing her with his dad, the both of them taking pictures and videos of the encounters. There were other charges as well, all stemming from this horrible situation.

While BD was in prison, his mother (Bio Grandma), who is long time divorced from Bio Grandpa, reached out to my niece. She wanted to establish a connection with GN. While my niece and our entire family really had concerns, ultimately my niece allowed GN communication with her. So, bio grandma has met GN once, grandma lives out of state, but keeps in contact with her a few times a year online and with cards & gifts etc...

Anyway, BD was recently, 2 mos. maybe, released from prison. Right before his release, his mother asked my niece if she was open for him to contact his daughter. My niece told her she wasn't comfortable with that, she said she needed time. Today, GN received a couple of books from Grandma and supposedly from BD. I say supposedly, because while his notes were signed Dad, they appear to be the same handwriting as an included note signed Grandma.

It's not clear whether BD really wants contact with GN or if grandma is trying to make it happen. My niece is considering severing contact with Grandma. She feels Grandma is trying to force a meeting with BD and given dad's past my Niece is scared for her young daughter. Niece has asked my opinion on this, and I'm not sure. I worry it could drive Grandma to encourage dad to take legal action.

If he were to seek parenting time, what are the odds that he would granted any, given his past? How big of a factor is my nieces disability?

LdiJ

I'm asking on behalf of my niece, Bio Mom. I realize that's not the preferred method here, however, she is intellectually disabled and obviously that is part of the circumstances to be considered here.

She resides in Washington State. She and her eight-year-old daughter live with my parents, niece's Grandparents. They are 68 & 69 years old.
My niece has never had a job and receives disability benefits. She participates in state-funded training and behavioral classes to assist with social and cognitive skills. We have seen some improvement over the years with these classes, but I don't know if she'll ever be able to hold a job, really live on her own and raise GN on her own.

Niece had a one night stand at 18 years and my great niece (GN) is the result. Bio Dad wanted nothing to do with GN afterward. At the time, my niece was completely open to him and his family being involved, none of them were interested.

A couple of years after GN was born, BD and his own father (baby's Bio Grandpa) were arrested and sent to prison. They were convicted of raping a 14 year old girl. BD having met her online, starting a sexual relationship with her and then later sharing her with his dad, the both of them taking pictures and videos of the encounters. There were other charges as well, all stemming from this horrible situation.

While BD was in prison, his mother (Bio Grandma), who is long time divorced from Bio Grandpa, reached out to my niece. She wanted to establish a connection with GN. While my niece and our entire family really had concerns, ultimately my niece allowed GN communication with her. So, bio grandma has met GN once, grandma lives out of state, but keeps in contact with her a few times a year online and with cards & gifts etc...

Anyway, BD was recently, 2 mos. maybe, released from prison. Right before his release, his mother asked my niece if she was open for him to contact his daughter. My niece told her she wasn't comfortable with that, she said she needed time. Today, GN received a couple of books from Grandma and supposedly from BD. I say supposedly, because while his notes were signed Dad, they appear to be the same handwriting as an included note signed Grandma.

It's not clear whether BD really wants contact with GN or if grandma is trying to make it happen. My niece is considering severing contact with Grandma. She feels Grandma is trying to force a meeting with BD and given dad's past my Niece is scared for her young daughter. Niece has asked my opinion on this, and I'm not sure. I worry it could drive Grandma to encourage dad to take legal action.

If he were to seek parenting time, what are the odds that he would granted any, given his past? How big of a factor is my nieces disability?
Your niece's disability should not factor in because she lives with her parents and they provide the extra needed emotional/mental/financial support needed.

I cannot imagine a judge giving unsupervised visits to a convicted pedifile. However, a judge might feel that grandma (dad's mother) is competent to supervise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">