• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copying messages from Yahoo Groups?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jhobbs

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Are messages received via public mailing lists such as (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/whatever) public property, or are they the property of the list owner, or the person writing the message?

I'd like to publish some of the messages in a forum like this one. The messages would be stripped of all traces of the originator's identity, but otherwise mostly unmodified. The forum would be public, and non profit.

I've requested permission from the writers of the emails and all except a couple OK'd my usage of their messages. I asked for permission to use their messages, and whether they preferred to be identified as the originator. Two simply don't/won't respond to my requests.

What liabilities might result from publishing the content of mailing-list messages that are stripped of the originator's ID?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">