• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copying Region 2 DVD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? PA

Are the any U.S. laws interfering with copying a NON region 1 dvd including sales? Some over seas goverments are now cracking down on the copying of dvds now. The movie was produced in the U.S. though this dvd Im speaking of was mass distributed for Region 2 release with their own input around film.

A foreign companies dvd I have removed the U.S. distributor's image from the dvd for their own sale. So did two U.S. companies to get away with internet sales of this movie, I figured they sold over the net because they do not have stores sales rights.

divgradcurl

convoy71 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Are the any U.S. laws interfering with copying a NON region 1 dvd including sales? Some over seas goverments are now cracking down on the copying of dvds now. The movie was produced in the U.S. though this dvd Im speaking of was mass distributed for Region 2 release with their own input around film.

A foreign companies dvd I have removed the U.S. distributor's image from the dvd for their own sale. So did two U.S. companies to get away with internet sales of this movie, I figured they sold over the net because they do not have stores sales rights.
Of course there are. The copyright laws do not even discuss DVD region codes -- those were put into place by the movie industry, and are only covered by copyright law to the extent they are considered copy protection devices and bypassing such devices is a violation of the DMCA provisions in copyright law. Copying and selling a DVD with region codes removed -- no matter what region it was originally intended for -- violates the same provisions as copying and selling any other copyrighted work without authorization.

So, the same copyright laws that cover regular old US DVD's also covers "cracked" DVD's that have had their region codes removed, plus removal of the region codes is, in itself, a violation of the DMCA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">