• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Act 1976

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Copyright Act 1976

Hello, may i ask if you can file a lawsuit for a 'news site' who is under the 'Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, for defamation, slander or libel?

or do you have tips on something i can sue them?

quincy

Copyright Act 1976

Hello, may i ask if you can file a lawsuit for a 'news site' who is under the 'Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, for defamation, slander or libel?

What is the name of your state?

The Copyright Act has nothing to do with defamation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Copyright Act 1976

You really need to supply more information, beginning with your US state.

PayrollHRGuy

Section 107 mentions nothing about defamation. Would you like to ask your question again?

107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use40
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">