• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright for book with others' handwritten notes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noelbode

I'm putting together a book which has scans of handwritten notes. I don't want to copyright other people's handwriting, just the entire book. Do I need to have everyone legally release their notes, or do I need to include everyone in the copyright? I don't want to claim that I wrote the notes.

Thanks very much, let me know if the question is not clear.

quincy

I'm putting together a book which has scans of handwritten notes. I don't want to copyright other people's handwriting, just the entire book. Do I need to have everyone legally release their notes, or do I need to include everyone in the copyright? I don't want to claim that I wrote the notes.

Thanks very much, let me know if the question is not clear.
What is the name of your state?

If you are including in your book material written by others, you will need permission from them to copy and publish what they wrote, under most circumstances.

Once you obtain releases/licenses to use their notes, you can register your copyright for the entire book and its contents.

You have an automatic copyright on your original and creative content even without registration of the copyright with the US Copyright Office. Registration is required, however, before you file a copyright infringement suit and also makes you eligible for statutory damages should your work be infringed, so registration is smart.

Last edited:

noelbode

Thank you for the quick replies!

I'm planning to publish with Amazon KDP. I'm a resident of MN though currently I'm studying abroad so I'm not residing in the US now.

What's the best way to get permission? As in, is there a certain legal document people need to sign, etc.? Does just written consent work? I am soliciting the writings with the information that I'm going to publish them, so I'm only receiving the written notes with the writer's knowledge that I'm compiling a book with them, if that makes sense.

quincy

Thank you for the quick replies!

I'm planning to publish with Amazon KDP. I'm a resident of MN though currently I'm studying abroad so I'm not residing in the US now.

What's the best way to get permission? As in, is there a certain legal document people need to sign, etc.? Does just written consent work? I am soliciting the writings with the information that I'm going to publish them, so I'm only receiving the written notes with the writer's knowledge that I'm compiling a book with them, if that makes sense.
You can have your releases or licenses drafted by a legal professional (recommended) or you can draft your own.

If you draft your own, you will need to make sure that proper rights are transferred to you by the original copyright holder, whether these rights are exclusive, nonexclusive, limited in scope or unlimited. Your goal will be to ensure that no lawsuit will result from your book's content after publication.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">