• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joanne

I want to start a business making and decorating salt-dough ornaments for sale in gift shops. i want to use cookie molds that are also sold in gift and gormet cooking shops. Is it legal for me to use these mold to produce my ornaments for sale? Does the company that makes the mold hold a copyright for what is produced in them?

H

hannah jo

What type of molds are you speaking of? This could be an issue if the molds are created based on copyrighted characters or items. Otherwise, if the molds are being sold for craft making and commercial use, you should not have an issue.

Try reading the info on this website under Copyright Law - maybe some of your questions will be answered!

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

J

Joanne

Thanks. The molds are made by companies called Brown Bag and Cotton Press. They are made of ceramic and are not characters,such as Winnie the Pooh, but angels, santas, and other Christmas symbols. They are being sold from craft, baking, and decorative use.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Basically, as long as these characters are not trademarked, you can use these molds to make what you like.

Your copyright is not in the mold, but in the product resulting from this mold. I am sure the mold is merely the base, with sufficient creativity by you, to separate the two products.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">