• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright on Used records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

platypus

I am the owner of a used record (as in vinyl) store. The record store is on the internet only. I recently received a message from Amazon.com that one of my items was pulled do to a request from grayzone.inc. because the rights to the item belonged to them. The LP that they took off the site is a record that is about 20 years old. No other reason was given but the item was originally issued by A&M records and it was listed as having a promo stamp on the cover. What right do they have to tell Amazon to take out a listing of a used LP that I own?

Thanks

P

peter

AHHH dont sweat it, i am a dj here in NYC... and we all have those promo records...

And it does say it is illegal to sell them since they were given to us...but we do anyway....So let the jerk have his record back, just make a copy on cd before you do send it back to him.

The ownership of the promo records belong to the MGR or Artist..so send it back... and take a tax deduction.

P

platypus

Peter

Thanks for your quick reply and offer for the LPs. Let me address the original question first though. The original complaint to Amazon about my listing is really not a person but a company who say they own the rights to the music or the promo record. They are not actually requesting the LP (I would never give it to them anyway) but just request that I do not sell it. I have over 60,000 titles (20,000 on line) and quite a few of these are promos. I buy from DJs (Like yourself) Radio stations etc. So I was really asking if they have the legal right to ask me to pull the LP since this is 20 years old and in no way affects the sales of the CD that they might be selling. I do not sell the digital copy and am really not interested in making copies. All of my customers want the original vinyl pressing because most go up in value so they see them as collectable.
My concern was that if they told me I could not sell any promo vinyl than I would be out of business. Why pick on the little guy anyway

Also, thanks for the offer on the LPs but I only look for the hard to find stuff now, such as rare Funk, psych, Hip-Hop, Experimental, Jazz, etc etc.

Bruce

P

peter

Hi Bruce;

They alway pick on the little guy for every mickey mouse thing....

I think this sets a bad precident too....but ok well you know it is stamped promo not for sale..so yes they still do have a right to stop you from selling a promo copy, and you have a valid argument for it being 20 years later...

Now if Amazon or Ebay forced you to stop selling ALL of your promos, and didnt stop anyone else then i would sue and make a big national issue out of this...

But if one person complains and they are the legal owner of the LP because of the promo stamp.....not much you can do...

Except not advertise on Amazon...but that will only hurt your sales....

Anyway you probably sell a lot at the Monthly record show at the Holiday Inn in the big apple.....so get everyone who buys or passes your table to sign up for your "newsletter"

They way i read this the individual owner has a right to demand that one LP be taken off, but Amazon cannot do anything unless they force Everyone off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">