• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Corporate Code of Conduct form to sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TeamF1Jr

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Just to set the stage, I work for a billion dollar a year company who has recently sent a letter and booklet with our company's "Code of Business Conduct and Ethics". Naturally inside it hits all the basics: your emails are not private and can be reviewed, sexual harrassment, workplace safety, political activity in the workplace....etc.

They claim the reason for this is the Sarbanes/Oxley act and they are "asking" everyone to sign it. Do I by Ohio law have to sign this? They don't say its mandatory by law to sign it.

Thanks,
Phil

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you by law have to sign it? No, no one can legally force you to do so. However, the law does not forbid them from firing you if you don't sign it, either.

Is there some reason you don't want to sign it?

H

hexeliebe

Anyone who works for me, either as a programer or on the far, is required to sign a hold-harmless agreement (farm) or a Professional Conduct Agreement (programer) before they can begin work.

So, do you want to hit the pavement or keep your job during the Christmas season?

Beth3

I have only passing familiarity with Sarbanes/Oxley but that has primarily to do with ethical and fully disclosed accounting practices on the part of senior and financial executives. No, signing this document is not required by any laws but employers' Code of Ethics policies were around long before S/O came into existance, although passage of this law obviously prompted your employer to decide to develop a policy.

Why wouldn't you sign it though? You'd be refusing over a non-issue, as if you act unethically (in your employer's opinion) or violate a company policy or acceptable standards of behavior, you can be terminated anyway. There is no downside to you that I can imagine by signing the policy - which only means you have been informed of your employer's policy for your conduct while in their employ. The downside of not signing it is your employer will wonder why you have refused and what you are planning on getting up to in the future.

All your employer is doing is making their expectations for employee conduct clear. You can be fired for unethical behavior whether they have a written policy or not. There's no reason for you to draw negative attention to yourself from senior company management for refusing to sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">