• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Corrections to Consumer Credit Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erinspice

This doesn't have to do with bankruptcy, but this was the most appropriate forum I could find.

This question is about my mother-in-law. She lives in Tennessee and is about to move to Alabama. There is a tax-lein on her credit that was taken care of some number of years ago, and we have a statement from the state of Tennessee confirming that she was released from the lein.

We contacted the three major credit reporting agencies to correct this piece of information on her credit report by mail, and one of our letters came back undeliverable. We went to this agency's website and found that we could only report a dispute online, and only if we purchase a credit report from the agency first. I called the toll-free number the agency posted online, and there is no option to speak to a representative. When I pressed zero, expecting to be taken to a representative or operator, I was asked to order a credit report.

It is my understanding (and perhaps I am wrong) that credit reporting agencies are required to provide some method of correcting incorrect information. Can they require that I pay them to do this? Am I really going to have to pay $35 to purchase a report from them in order to submit a request for correction of information on her credit report?

Ladynred

What you got was garbage ! You are NOT restricted to disputing only on-line, that's utterly false ! You are also NOT required to BUY a credit report in order to dispute ! What you/she needs to do is WRITE A LETTER disputing the entry on her credit report, that the lien has been released and provide a copy of the letter from the State of TN proving that it was, in fact, released.

The credit bureaus PAY other companies to get the public record information from courthouses, the courts do NOT report to the bureaus.

You can find many sample dispute letters at either www.creditinfocenter.com or www.creditboards.com. Either place can help with credit dispute/repair problems.

erinspice

Thanks, As stated above, I did write a letter to the only address I have for them and it was returned undeliverable. They do not have any address listed on their website, and the phone number goes around in circles asking callers to purchase a credit report!

cyana24

Is this agency "Experian" by any chance? They recently closed one of the Post Office boxes where they were receiving dispute letters. If so, I can provide alternate addresses that work (hopefully).

Last edited:

erinspice

As a matter of fact, yes. I contacted Privacy Guard, the company I obtained the credit report from in the first place, and they provided me with the updated mailing address, so I'm trying that now!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">