• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cosigned loan

• Thread starter sabrina wallace
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sabrina wallace

What is the name of your state? virginia

please help. My husband who is in the navy unfortunately cosigned a loan for a friend with credit problems, her husband who also is in the navy had not so good credit and was unable to cosign, so my husband decided to help. Recently we were contacted by debt collectors and found out the car had been repossesed and we owe $6,000. We arranged to make payments of 200.00 a month and try and contact his friend. She is not accepting calls. Is there anything we can do, can we sue her, or as her husband is in the navy should he not be obligated to pay something towards this loan.

thanks
sabrina

djohnson

Did you have a written contract between your husband and friend? Was it just an oral agreement? Unfortunately you will still be responsible. You can file civil against her but you may or may not get anything. If you can get judgement you can attach to property or pay unless they already have garnishments totaling the maximum and with their bad history that may be a possibility.

S

sabrina wallace

thanks

thankyou for replying so quickly.

There was no written contract between her and my husband he was just doing a favour. My husband has said that he may go through the Navy Legal department to see whether they can obligate her husband to help as he is in the navy, hopefully it will make him step up to his responsibility.

thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">