• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosigned on a lease with exwife now i am being sued.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigjohn29

This is a repost that i orginally posted in debt collections

Maryland

Here is the story
2 years ago i cosigned a lease in maryland for the exwife. We wasn't divorced at the time just separated. A few months after the divorce went through she broke the lease because she couldn't afford the lease anymore and got served with papers to go to court. I called her and she informed me that she would take care of it. Well she didn't and a judgment was awarded against me. it was for $4500 give or take some change. 2 weeks ago i receive a summons that i need to be in court in md with all my financial records for the past 3 years plus a list of everything i own.

I just recently lost a good job offer because this judgment is on my credit history.

I recently got laid off drawing unemployment dont own anything out right or value, except for household belongings that i have. I am looking to see what legal options i have or basically am i on the hook for this judgment.

Also i know i am going to retain a lawyer for this could somebody give me a rough estimate on how much it would cost me in legal fees.

FlyingRon

Your best bet is to have the attorney who handled the divorce settlement look at it. Your only recourse is against your spouse. Your cosigning made you liable for the debt otherwise. The credit history is the least of your concerns, you apparently blew off the legal action establishing the default judgement, now they are trying to collect on that judgement.

HomeGuru

This is a repost that i orginally posted in debt collections

Maryland

Here is the story
2 years ago i cosigned a lease in maryland for the exwife. We wasn't divorced at the time just separated. A few months after the divorce went through she broke the lease because she couldn't afford the lease anymore and got served with papers to go to court. I called her and she informed me that she would take care of it. Well she didn't and a judgment was awarded against me. it was for $4500 give or take some change. 2 weeks ago i receive a summons that i need to be in court in md with all my financial records for the past 3 years plus a list of everything i own.

I just recently lost a good job offer because this judgment is on my credit history.

I recently got laid off drawing unemployment dont own anything out right or value, except for household belongings that i have. I am looking to see what legal options i have or basically am i on the hook for this judgment.

Also i know i am going to retain a lawyer for this could somebody give me a rough estimate on how much it would cost me in legal fees.
**A: $2500+ in legal fees.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland.

Ok to make a long story short i have a judgment awarded against as the cosigner of a lease agreement. I live in pa and received a subpoena to appear in district court in st marys county. It requests 3 years worth of bank statements tax returns auto purchases, furniture, household belongings,

I have no money in my bank accounts 401k disappeared and own no real estate. I still owe 5k on my car which is really the on asset i have and the bank still owns the title.

My question is what can i do if i cant respond to this subpoena due to finical reasons. Its a 12 hour round trip drive to the court house and i dont trust my car to make it that far due to mechanical issues. Also there is no way i can produce 3 years worth of financial statements.

Next is what happens in a discovery summons, i can probably get down there,but what happens if i respond and dont have said documents.
Try to do the best you can; make sure you show up for every court appearance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">