• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosigner for a car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ronsi

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I helped a friend in need by co-signing for a car because he had previous credit issues that were "behind him", and I guess the car dealership put my name first on the paper work.

Anyway, this friend has been a few days late on the payments the last two months and they've been calling ME to tell me to have to pay. I have begged and pleaded with this friend to mail his payments in earlier and he tells me he has mailed them in time (7 days in advance is usually considered the general rule I know). I've also asked the creditor to call him instead, but they continue to call me.

My question is this, is there anything I can do legally if he begins to default on the payments? I know they will eventually repossess and it will hurt my credit record. Can I willingly sell it back to them since my name is on the title?
Or could something be done to garnish his wages to pay for the car payment?

I've learned my lesson the hard way about never co-signing for "friends"

bigun

First of all, be very thankful the lender is calling you at the first sign of a problem. Often times, the lener will wait for months or just repo the car before the cosigner finds out what is happening. I would stronly encourage the lender to keep you in the loop.

If your name is on the title, you can take posession of the car and sell it but, if you're upside down you are also responsible for the difference.

You're in a tough spot. I'd try and have a frank discussion with your friend and explain how this is hurting you and he needs to do a better job of getting the payment on time. I also just ask him if he can continue to pay and if not, let's sell the car and cut any losses. In order to garnish him, you'd have to sue and win and who wants to go through that ordeal?

T

Thachmo

Co-signed also

Here in Virginia I have a similar problem, except, my daughter's name is the only one on the title of the vehicle. She made the first 3 payments, quit work, and now I've made the last 12 in a row. Is there ANY way I can recover OR legally get out of this co-signer situation?

JETX

thachmo, please do not 'piggyback' your post onto someone elses thread. By doing so, you divert the attention from the original poster and cause confusion in responding. If you will re-post your message as a new thread, I am sure you will get lots of good responses.

Thank you for your understanding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">