• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosigner in need of help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jodie101

What is the name of your state?I am in Louisiana. I cosigned on a loan for my brother in law because my husband was not in to do it. This was two years ago, he has 1 year left to pay and he has since quit his job and does not want to go back to work. My husband is now out of work for at least three months because of health issues otherwise we would have been able to pick it up. Now we cannot afford our own bills much less his. We threatened to take away the car and he in turn said it was his and would destroy it before we could take it. I called the loan company and I have no rights to the car except to pay it because it is him and his mom on the title unless he would sign it over. This will never happen so I will not be able to sell it. The loan company also told me that they will not repossess the car, all they will do is put a judgment against me. Now this afternoon I found out he has already begun destroying the car so either way we will never be able to sell it now. How can I get out of this. HELP!!!

Ladynred

You can always sue him for it. Destroying the car is just plain stupid and childish. Unfortunately, these are the risks of co-signing a loan for ANYONE, let alone family.

The bank WOULD repo the car if no one pays for it.. and then the primary would likely be sued, or they could sue you both, for the deficiency after the thing is sold at auction. However, they're not going to take back a wreck.. so someone will be stuck paying on a judgment.

As you've found out, being a co-signer doesn't give you any rights to take the car away from him if you're not on the title.

jodie101

Thanks, that is the same info I've been getting everywhere. We went to see a judge and put charges against him for threatening our lives and she will put him on supervised probation and try to force him to pay for the car. I am currently trying to refinance it under my name so that I can atleast get the title and because I am sure they will be pretty ticked off because of the charges, they will drop the insurance to make me pay more. I just pray to God that this all works itself out. Thanks for your reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">