• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cost of Medicare when on SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

NY
The monthly cost of Medicare is $144 which is normally taken from SS. If you were on SSDI prior to 62, does the Medicare premium get taken out before SSDI kicks in or after? Current SSDI is $783. I understand that if the SS payment is less than that, SSDI will pay the balance.
Thanks

FlyingRon

I'm not sure what you mean by "kicks in." You are responsible for paying Medicare premiums if you are an SSDI recipient unless you are also qualifying for SSI. New York does have some provisions to reduce Medicare for certain low income recipients.

I'm not sure how age 62 enters into this either. Medicare is only affected by either turning 65 or having been disabled for 24 months.

izzie02

Check to see if you can qualify for help with Medicare costs through ACA (affordable Care act/also known as Obama care) Call the county you live in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">