• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Costomer owes me money. Sue or small claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?nj

I have a customer that owes me $3500 + on his account. Over the last two years he has paid some money here and there. I have not charges any interest or late payment fees. I have not seen any futher payments from him in 3 months. I sent a notice to him to pay in full by 4/5/2005 or got to collection or receive legal action.

My question is if payment is not made at said date can i sue this customer for amount due, past interest , my expenses and lawyer fees etc.. or file for small calims?

My small buisness is in NJ and this customer is in FL.


Senior Member
Yes, you can sue the customer if he doesn't meet your demand for payment. He lives in FL, you will need to sue him in FL to have the best chance of collecting post-judgment. You will have to find out what the limits are for small claims in FL, most small claims courts have a max dollar amount, after that you must sue in the next higher court. Yes, you most certainly include interest and all legal and court fees in the lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential