• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could a Shoplifting felony reduced to misdemeanor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bj

I was arrested, booked and released for shoplifting $400 merchandise in a store. The police told me that I would be charged as Felony because it is over $275 in WA.

I have a couple prior misdemeanors for shoplifting on 1990 and 1995, they both cleared for treatments and counseling. The reason I am stealing now is because I had major depression in my life (Lost my job) and was addicted to prescribed pain killer (morphine). I know it is excuses, but it is true.

My questions are:
1. Am I going to jail by shoplifting? I have a family to care for. What is the possible outcome for my sentencing? Probation? Should I plead guilty and get it over with?

2. Is it possible to reduce my charge from Felony to misdemeanor? I am currently physically disabled and unemployed. I am trying to get back to the work force. A felony will definitely jeopardize my chance to get a job.

3. I should be able to get a public defending lawyer because my low income. Is a public defending lawyer good for my case? Should I get a private lawyer?

4. Are there any website or government site shows previous cases and sentences. I like to know the possible outcome for my case if there are any ways I can check the public court record.

Thank you ahead to answer my questions.

ALawyer

First if you can't afford a lawyer the court must appoint one for you. Many public defenders are excellent, and many private lawyers are excellent. NEVER "just pleaed guilty" as a lawyer probably can work a plea for you. You also need counselling.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">