• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I take legal action against my University for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?Missouri

I have a couple of disabilities (attention deficit disorder and a severe social anxiety disorder) that have made it very hard for me to complete the only class left for me to graduate, public speaking. I took the class several times and either failed it or just dropped it. Finally I went to the disabilities office to try and get help.

They were quite helpful. They spoke with the Communictaions department on my behalf and the two sides came up with an alternative, that I would test out of the class. Assuming I did that then I would recieve the proper credit and then graduate. Well, I tested out of the class and proper ducumentation of my disabilities along with a letter from the Communications Dept was sent to the Registrars Office to let them know my situation and that I had completed the course through the test out procedure.

Now, the University is saying that this is a no go and that they will not grant me the credit needed to graduate and that I have to take the class. But because of my disability I cannot PASS this class. Is there any legal action I could take against the school here? Any help would be appreciated.

Mr. Brown
Last edited:


Senior Member
You appear to have requested reasonable accommodations under ADA, appropraitely and these should have been honored. You can contact the EEOC and file a complaint, if this is difficult, contact you local independent living center and they will have someone who can assist you, perhaps even the University's didability office can assist you.

ADA Q & A: Section 504 & Postsecondary Education ... to a 1992 publication on the ADA and postsecondary ... AHEAD), the Department of Education ... accommodations; substitution of specific courses required for ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential