• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could something else have been done?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blawson042408

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My husband is 49 years old, a diabetic, overweight and has heart problems. In 2005, he had a heart attack and triple by-pass surgery and has been seeing the same cardiologist ever since.

On December 1st, 2008, I took him for his 6-month check up with his cardiologist. His doctor is in AL. They did an EKG, Doppler with color and an ECHO cardiogram. Instead of seeing the doctor, he saw a NP. He informed us everything was fine. 7 days later he had a stroke that rendered him permanently disabled. He has vision loss. I feel like if the doctor had looked at the test results and drew blood (his was way too thick) that maybe he would have caught something the NP did not. It also seems to me that the test they did run would show that his blood was thick. Maybe not, I am not a doctor.

It just seems like to me knowing his history and risk factors the doctor should have seen him. Thank you.

Last edited:

lealea1005

When you refer to "thick blood", does this mean your husband was actually diagnosed with Hughes Syndrome or hypercoagulability?

Unfortunately, people who have normal ECHO, Stress, EKG, etc. one week, can still have a stroke the next. Your husband's medical history puts him at risk.

The NP is under the direct supervision of the Cardiologist who reviewed the NP's treatment. In the future, if you feel strongly that you want to be seen by a Physician, just make that request at the time you make the appointment.

LAWMED

When you refer to "thick blood", does this mean your husband was actually diagnosed with Hughes Syndrome or hypercoagulability?

Unfortunately, people who have normal ECHO, Stress, EKG, etc. one week, can still have a stroke the next. Your husband's medical history puts him at risk.

The NP is under the direct supervision of the Cardiologist who reviewed the NP's treatment. In the future, if you feel strongly that you want to be seen by a Physician, just make that request at the time you make the appointment.
Thick blood? Sorry, no such thing here i am afraid. Drawing blood and viewing its 'thickness' is not diagnostic of anything and it would not have mattered whether the physician or the NP drew it.

49 years old, a diabetic, overweight and has heart problems. In 2005, he had a heart attack and triple by-pass surgery

Unfortunately, after viewing his medical history, at such a young age, it is not a big surprise he would have a stroke. I do not mean to sound un-empathetic and do hope your husband will make a full recovery. His severe underlying vascular disease, weight and diabetes was a time bomb however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">