• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could the Russia Ukraine conflict effect me potentially bring over my Russian GF?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisabledGeek89

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Especially if war breaks out between Russia and Ukraine. I know jobs exist here in Northern Virginia for Russian Speakers in and around the DC Area. She could in all odds make more money here then back in Russia. Should she try for a bride or work visa?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Especially if war breaks out between Russia and Ukraine. I know jobs exist here in Northern Virginia for Russian Speakers in and around the DC Area. She could in all odds make more money here then back in Russia. Should she try for a bride or work visa?
How in the world would any of us reasonably know?

I'll guess "Yes".
The next person may guess "No".

You should speak to an immigration attorney.

PayrollHRGuy

War breaking out isn't going to help her here at all unless she has a metric buttload of military or diplomatic intelligence to bring with her.

zddoodah

Could the Russia Ukraine conflict [affect] me potentially bring over my Russian GF?
In the abstract, virtually anything could potentially affect her getting a visa.

Should she try for a bride or work visa?
I'm pretty sure she needs to have an employer sponsor her to obtain a "work visa." Does she have an employer in the U.S.? As far as her "try[ing] for a bride," are the two of you getting married? Have you educated yourself as to what will be required of you in connection with obtaining such a visa?

quincy

I received your private message, DisabledGeek. Sorry I didn’t respond sooner.

Yes, it probably would have been best to tack this latest question onto your previous thread about your “Russian girlfriend bride,” instead of starting a new thread. Too late now. :)

Here is a link to your other thread for the benefit of others:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/best-way-to-get-my-russian-gf-bride-visa.660985/

Your Russian friend should speak to an immigration lawyer in Russia if she plans to come to the U.S. I believe we all thought it would be difficult for you to sponsor her.

It really depends on the type of conflict whether it is harder or easier to immigrate.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

No. It is more likely that the problem will be your lack of money, and Russia kicking out US diplomats who have been there over 3 years in retaliation for the US kicking out Russian diplomats over other issues... https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/12/russia-kicks-some-us-diplomats-out-of-country-heres-whats-happening/

FlyingRon

What is YOUR status? If you're a US citizen, a spouse isn't much of an issue (the exact procedure varies depending on if you are married now or will be after she comes here). If you're not a US citizen, then there is more variability. However, just because she is in an in-demand role as a translator doesn't mean a whole lot.

quincy

What is YOUR status? If you're a US citizen, a spouse isn't much of an issue (the exact procedure varies depending on if you are married now or will be after she comes here). If you're not a US citizen, then there is more variability. However, just because she is in an in-demand role as a translator doesn't mean a whole lot.
DisabledGeek is a U.S. citizen collecting SSI and SSDI, and he is/was living with one of his parents (according to a recent thread).

He knows the Russian woman through social media site exchanges only.

FlyingRon

Then he's going to have real problems unless his parents are going to sign on to keep his mail-order bride off the public dole until she qualifies to be a US citizen or works 40 quarters.

quincy

Then he's going to have real problems unless his parents are going to sign on to keep his mail-order bride off the public dole until she qualifies to be a US citizen or works 40 quarters.
In his other “Russian bride” thread, he was told of the difficulties and it was suggested his Russian friend find her own way to the U.S.

DisabledGeek89

DisabledGeek is a U.S. citizen collecting SSI and SSDI, and he is/was living with one of his parents (according to a recent thread).

He knows the Russian woman through social media site exchanges only.
She is real though we have video chatted on Skype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">