• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

County Code enforcement rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesdeano

I live in the Florida Keys. Code Enforment/ growth managment is a problem for nearly every property owner in the keys. Recently code enforcment stopped by and started barking out orders. So let me get on with it. My grandson lives in an RV he bought a couple years back and there have been no problems but the other day code enforcement stopped and said that he has to get it registered, unplug the electric, and take the blocks out from underneath it. The people who he bought it from never got it registered in their name so he cant get it registered in his name without the bill of sale. He has the title and it is signed over as a gift but the DMV says he needs the bill of sale. The woman whos name is on the title lives in northern Florida and will not return his phone calls. Legally, the RV still belongs to her. But after a few days of calling and no answer, we are getting worried. If she would answer and comply by filling out the bill of sale form and faxing/email it back along with a blown up picture of her drivers license, then he can keep his camper by getting it registered. But if he doesnt comply with The county code enforcement, he has to remove it. Code enforcement stopped by on the 21st of January and gave him 30 days to solve the problem. He was not issued any papers and he didnt sign anything. So could someone tell me what this all means and what rights does he have. Whats the deal with the RV owner and is she obligated to comply. What advice is good for him. Whats the best move so that he can keep his camper. Anyone's time is so greatly appreciated by me and i thank you in advance. Thanks, bye.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in the Florida Keys. Code Enforment/ growth managment is a problem for nearly every property owner in the keys. Recently code enforcment stopped by and started barking out orders. So let me get on with it. My grandson lives in an RV he bought a couple years back and there have been no problems but the other day code enforcement stopped and said that he has to get it registered, unplug the electric, and take the blocks out from underneath it. The people who he bought it from never got it registered in their name so he cant get it registered in his name without the bill of sale. He has the title and it is signed over as a gift but the DMV says he needs the bill of sale. The woman whos name is on the title lives in northern Florida and will not return his phone calls. Legally, the RV still belongs to her. But after a few days of calling and no answer, we are getting worried. If she would answer and comply by filling out the bill of sale form and faxing/email it back along with a blown up picture of her drivers license, then he can keep his camper by getting it registered. But if he doesnt comply with The county code enforcement, he has to remove it. Code enforcement stopped by on the 21st of January and gave him 30 days to solve the problem. He was not issued any papers and he didnt sign anything. So could someone tell me what this all means and what rights does he have. Whats the deal with the RV owner and is she obligated to comply. What advice is good for him. Whats the best move so that he can keep his camper. Anyone's time is so greatly appreciated by me and i thank you in advance. Thanks, bye.
Perhaps he needs to store it somewhere else?

And, really, this is not a "problem" from code enforcement. They are doing their job. Many of us WISH we had folks who were that diligent in keeping the neighborhood looking good.

jamesdeano

we own a big piece of property and he keeps it waterfront. Not Visible from the road and definatley not hurting anyone. WE pay outreagous property taxes and all sorts of other things to live here and we dont feel that its wrong to have something you pay for on your own property. Especially when no one even knows its there. You replied with nothing but negativity and you were no help at all. We are good people and want to live by the law so we are here asking how we can abide by the law and keep the rv at the same time. Its almost obvious what the answer to the question is but i figured its worth a shot that maybe someone knew something about this kind of problem. And for your information, you know nothing about how the county works here. and if u lived here, you would dislike what they do the same as every other property owner. How bout you go get a permit to paint your house. or how bout you go get a permit to have a gazebo in your yard. or how bout build a canal that u cant store a boat in. or how bout tear out your entire downstairs enclosure that you spent 20g's on. And then how bout get charged 250$ a day until you have it done. Get my my drift? your reply is not needed. Thank you for putting your miserable life on my thread.

Zigner

we own a big piece of property and he keeps it waterfront. Not Visible from the road and definatley not hurting anyone. WE pay outreagous property taxes and all sorts of other things to live here and we dont feel that its wrong to have something you pay for on your own property. Especially when no one even knows its there. You replied with nothing but negativity and you were no help at all. We are good people and want to live by the law so we are here asking how we can abide by the law and keep the rv at the same time. Its almost obvious what the answer to the question is but i figured its worth a shot that maybe someone knew something about this kind of problem. And for your information, you know nothing about how the county works here. and if u lived here, you would dislike what they do the same as every other property owner. How bout you go get a permit to paint your house. or how bout you go get a permit to have a gazebo in your yard. or how bout build a canal that u cant store a boat in. or how bout tear out your entire downstairs enclosure that you spent 20g's on. And then how bout get charged 250$ a day until you have it done. Get my my drift? your reply is not needed. Thank you for putting your miserable life on my thread.
And yet, MY RV is perfectly fine sitting where I keep it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Banned_Princess

how 'bout you get your grammar in line. real words, proper spelling, periods. any of these sounding familiar?

I hear you are upset, but your [relative] has no business living in an RV on the water front of your property.

The previous owner (years ago) does not have to do one thing. the new owner should have taken care to properly register the vehicle with the state, and you should have tried (although I doubt you would succeed) to get a permit to have whoever live in an RV in your backyard.

jamesdeano

i apologize for whatever it is that is that you guys get offended by. bad grammer? as if this is a place of professionalism. i ask for advice politley. if one of my words doesnt match up to how you like to type it, u got bigger problems than me. i came here with the intentions of having nice conversations and hoping that someone of a higher knowledge would be able to assist me. Without them revealing their ego problems as in they might know some things other people dont know. Legally, u may know something that i dont. If u act rudely then it shows that either u have a problem with your ego or either you act and are negative, and last but not least, your very poor mannered and like to argue. Im sorry for whatever has happened to you. If someone wants to reply that would actually talk to me as if im a person, i would like that but i wont expect it from this place. I expect the next reply to be that of a negative nature. " Lets see i'f I'm right. Shall we? "

Last edited:

Zigner

i apologize for whatever it is that is that you guys get offended by. bad grammer? as if this is a place of professionalism. i ask for advice politley. if one of my words doesnt match up to how you like to type it, u got bigger problems than me. i came here with the intentions of having nice conversations and hoping that someone of a higher knowledge would be able to assist me. Without them revealing their ego problems as in they might know some things other people dont know. Legally, u may know something that i dont. If u act rudely then it shows that either u have a problem with your ego or either you act and are negative, and last but not least, your very poor mannered and like to argue. Im sorry for whatever has happened to you. If someone wants to reply that would actually talk to me as if im a person, i would like that but i wont expect it from this place. I expect the next reply to be that of a negative nature. " Let's see i'f I'm right. Shall we? "
Actually, your 2nd post was the first bit of negativity here. Have a pleasant day :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">