• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court appointed attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



This is regarding Michigan law. My brother was accused of a crime and cannot afford an attorney on his own. He had one appointed to him. Unfortunately, he sat in jail for a period of 6 weeks without so much as a 5 minute visit from his lawyer. He did get a 15 minute initial visit however. He would like to try and change to another appointed lawyer but we have no idea of how to go about this. I understand that this is a common problem because of the pay structure. He swears he is innocent and I really hate to see a guy sit in jail with no representation. Is there anything we can do? Also is there a "watch dog" group that keeps an eye on these guys (the court appointed ones) to see that they are doing what they are getting paid to do?
Please help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential