• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

court costs Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

How much are court costs typically in Texas for a child support hearing? My husband was ordered to pay court costs, but we don't know any amount yet.:confused:

ceara19

He should receive a bill within 60 days of the hearing. The court costs in Texas vary by county and type of hearing. Was this a hearing in front of the judge or just with CSE? If it was only with CSE, he may not get a bill. It is just standard to add "NCP is responsible for all court costs" to every order in Texas involving custody/visitation/CS. You should be able to call the courthouse and get the exact amount.

A judge signed the order......
I have another question: In the court papers, under Additional Health Care Expenses, it says that the obligee is responsible for health care expenses incurred monthly totaling up to an amount the equivalent of cash medical support ordered herein to be paid monthly by obligor. Then it says that the court orders the mother to pay 50% and my husband to pay 50% of the health care expenses incurred monthly totaling in excess of the monthly cash medical support ordered herein. I really don't understand what that means. There is nothing in the court order about cash medical support. (a figure) Could you help me out on this one? Thank you!

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
A judge signed the order......
I have another question: In the court papers, under Additional Health Care Expenses, it says that the obligee is responsible for health care expenses incurred monthly totaling up to an amount the equivalent of cash medical support ordered herein to be paid monthly by obligor. Then it says that the court orders the mother to pay 50% and my husband to pay 50% of the health care expenses incurred monthly totaling in excess of the monthly cash medical support ordered herein. I really don't understand what that means. There is nothing in the court order about cash medical support. (a figure) Could you help me out on this one? Thank you!
If the agreement was reached outside of court and then sent to the judge to be signed with no other interaction with the judge, most counties have no charge. For the counties that do charge for the 15 seconds of the courts time, it averages between $35-$50.

In some cases a set amount is ordered each month for medical expenses, typically, when the child has a chronic illness. NCP should either be providing the insurance or reimbursing the CP for the insurance. Any medical expenses, other than the cost of the insurance, is to be split 50/50. Mom has 30 days to submit the bill and dad has another 30 days to pay his portion, unless it is spelled out differently in the order. If dad fails to provide or reimburse for the insurance he is responsible for 100% of the medical expenses.

My husband has always provided insurance. I just wasn't sure what cash medical support was. Is it equal to the amount of insurance he provides every month?

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
My husband has always provided insurance. I just wasn't sure what cash medical support was. Is it equal to the amount of insurance he provides every month?
I double checked the AG's definition. "Cash Medical Support" is a set dollar amount to be paid by the NCP to the CP in cases where no reasonable insurance coverage is available and the child/ren do not qualify for Medicaid or CHIP insurance.

So, in your husband's case, he is providing insurance so he will not be making any Cash Medical Support payments and all deductibles and co-pays are split 50/50. :)

double checked the AG's definition. "Cash Medical Support" is a set dollar amount to be paid by the NCP to the CP in cases where no reasonable insurance coverage is available and the child/ren do not qualify for Medicaid or CHIP insurance.

So, in your husband's case, he is providing insurance so he will not be making any Cash Medical Support payments and all deductibles and co-pays are split 50/50.

I started wondering why this is in the court order about "cash medical support" if my husband is providing insurance, and always has. I am totally confused now.

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
double checked the AG's definition. "Cash Medical Support" is a set dollar amount to be paid by the NCP to the CP in cases where no reasonable insurance coverage is available and the child/ren do not qualify for Medicaid or CHIP insurance.

So, in your husband's case, he is providing insurance so he will not be making any Cash Medical Support payments and all deductibles and co-pays are split 50/50.

I started wondering why this is in the court order about "cash medical support" if my husband is providing insurance, and always has. I am totally confused now.
It will make it easier if he ever, for some reason, stopped carrying the insurance. The court could set a $$ amount for him to pay each month in lieu of the insurance,

I think I understand now.:eek:
I think I have asked this before, but do you know if it is legal for her to be on CHIP, because I think she is**************

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
I think I understand now.:eek:
I think I have asked this before, but do you know if it is legal for her to be on CHIP, because I think she is**************
If her income allows it (and that includes what she receives in CS), then yes, it's perfectly legal for her to put the kids on CHIPS. It will actually help your husband out if she is. CHIPS will be the seconday insurance company, paying the deductible and co-pays not covered by the insurance. If the kids are on secondary insurance, make sure your husband doesn't pay 50% of what his insurance isn't covering until he checks with the health care provider to make sure he really owes the money.

atxguy

ceara19 said:
He should receive a bill within 60 days of the hearing. The court costs in Texas vary by county and type of hearing. Was this a hearing in front of the judge or just with CSE? If it was only with CSE, he may not get a bill. It is just standard to add "NCP is responsible for all court costs" to every order in Texas involving custody/visitation/CS. You should be able to call the courthouse and get the exact amount.
Based on this, would it be odd to request to split the court cost with the AG? Since I disagree with what they are telling me, I feel I should not have to pay the entire court costs. Going to court is my only option to stand up for what I feel is right. Any suggestions or grounds to split the costs?

thanks!

atxguy said:
Based on this, would it be odd to request to split the court cost with the AG? Since I disagree with what they are telling me, I feel I should not have to pay the entire court costs. Going to court is my only option to stand up for what I feel is right. Any suggestions or grounds to split the costs?

thanks!

Why doesn't SHE have to pay the court costs since she is the one that requested the transfer to another county and child support modification? That would seem to be her responsibility! (in our case)

Last edited:
ceara19 said:
If her income allows it (and that includes what she receives in CS), then yes, it's perfectly legal for her to put the kids on CHIPS. It will actually help your husband out if she is. CHIPS will be the seconday insurance company, paying the deductible and co-pays not covered by the insurance. If the kids are on secondary insurance, make sure your husband doesn't pay 50% of what his insurance isn't covering until he checks with the health care provider to make sure he really owes the money.

I have been told before that it isn't legal (or that it is fraud) for her to be on CHIP and have insurance. I was told that she could be on medicaid, but not CHIP. So, it is legal? I guess you would know**************.I just didn't want my husband to have to reimburse the state because of what she is doing.:mad:
In the court papers, it said to bring proof of any coverage by CHIP to the hearing. I don't know if she did or not because we did not go to the hearing since we live 11 hours away.

Last edited:

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
Why doesn't SHE have to pay the court costs since she is the one that requested the transfer to another county and child support modification? That would seem to be her responsibility!
It would seem that way, but it is standard procedure for the NCP to foot the bill. There have been some cases where court costs are waived entirely, but it is usually because the matter went to court because of an error on the part of the OAG.

You can always REQUEST that she pay the court costs or that each party pay their own costs (whoever filed would be responsible for the court fees), but it's completely the judges decision whether or not to grant the request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">