• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Fees Small Claims Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jj123

I'm back.

The efile system in Houston is asking for the FILING CODE

https://efile.txcourts.gov/ofsweb

The 3 options are: Affidavit, Petition, Proposed Order.

It then asks for the following information:

FILE DESCRIPTION

CLIENT REFERENCE NUMBER

COMMENTS TO COURT

COURTESY COPIES

I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks for your help.

quincy

I read that document previously but it didn't answer my questions.
There are under “Self Help” in your link both “need help” and “contact us“ links where you can ask questions - or you could select a different efile site from those listed on the government website to see if their instructions are easier for you to follow, or you could fill out a paper complaint rather than efiling.

jj123

I just got off the phone with a clerk at a court house and he mentioned I should send a certified demand letter before going to small claims court. What do you think about his suggestion.

quincy

I just got off the phone with a clerk at a court house and he mentioned I should send a certified demand letter before going to small claims court. What do you think about his suggestion.
A court clerk cannot offer (or, rather, should not offer) legal advice. That said, sending a formal demand letter informing of a lawsuit to follow if the demand to pay is not met, can be done prior to filing suit.

You should read the information in the “self-help, filing a small claims case” link provided to you in Post Number 4.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A court clerk cannot offer (or, rather, should not offer) legal advice. That said, sending a formal demand letter informing of a lawsuit to follow if the demand to pay is not met, can be done prior to filing suit.

You should read the information in the “self-help, filing a small claims case” link provided to you in Post Number 4.
If a demand letter is not required by law, then suggesting that one be sent really isn't practicing law.

The OP should review the following site:

https://guides.sll.texas.gov/small-claims

Zigner

It is making a suggestion on how to handle a case.

The link I provided earlier has easy to understand instructions on filing a small claims case.
The courts suggest sending such a letter. It is a suggestion made by the courts for all small claims cases. It is not legal advice.

quincy

The courts suggest sending such a letter. It is a suggestion made by the courts for all small claims cases. It is not legal advice.
Okay. However, it is stated in the link I provided that “the court is not allowed to give you advice on ... whether you should file a case ...”

A demand letter is not necessary but if jj123 wants to send one, it doesn’t necessarily hurt except to delay filing suit.

Zigner

Okay. However, it is stated in the link I provided that “the court is not allowed to give you advice on ... whether you should file a case ...”

A demand letter is not necessary but if jj123 wants to send one, it doesn’t necessarily hurt except to delay filing suit.
Fair enough :)

quincy

Fair enough :)
I don’t think most people would press the issue either way. It would only hurt a future plaintiff if the deadline for filing a lawsuit passes because a demand letter is sent instead of filing suit within the limitations period. Here, jj123 appears to have time for both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">