• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court levy on property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justaguyguy

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hi there,

My case has been concluded after a long and burdensome series of court hearings on a charge from back in December. Part of the reason behind the almost 6 month delay is inability of the police officers to testify on the specific dates, even though they were subpoenaed, and had at least 30 days notice at that. My court hearings were reset a total of 4 different times. I checked my court costs just recently and the court issued a ‘levy’ against my property. Given the amount of the levy was equal to the court costs, added and combined, I assume it’s strictly different wordage for court costs. Why complicate something simple? I don’t know. So with that being said, is it unheard of to go to small claims court or a more appropriate court to try and recoup the fees, or at least some, especially if they seem unfair on the account of the circumstances provided? For the record, I already paid the fees, but I figured it was worth a shot in posting to see if there was such thing as challenging these types of costs. I called the county clerks office and as usual, they seemed In the dark. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

quincy

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hi there,

My case has been concluded after a long and burdensome series of court hearings on a charge from back in December. Part of the reason behind the almost 6 month delay is inability of the police officers to testify on the specific dates, even though they were subpoenaed, and had at least 30 days notice at that. My court hearings were reset a total of 4 different times. I checked my court costs just recently and the court issued a ‘levy’ against my property. Given the amount of the levy was equal to the court costs, added and combined, I assume it’s strictly different wordage for court costs. Why complicate something simple? I don’t know. So with that being said, is it unheard of to go to small claims court or a more appropriate court to try and recoup the fees, or at least some, especially if they seem unfair on the account of the circumstances provided? For the record, I already paid the fees, but I figured it was worth a shot in posting to see if there was such thing as challenging these types of costs. I called the county clerks office and as usual, they seemed In the dark. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Is this the same legal action you have posted about before?

Justaguyguy

Is this the same legal action you have posted about before?
Quincy,

This is the conclusion to the case I have spoken on. There were several taxes, clerk fees, and subpoena fees issued from that. I literally just learned about them yesterday. These are brand new fees associated with that case.

quincy

You can have these costs personally reviewed by a legal professional in your area to see if any are recoverable.

Did the court find in your favor?

Justaguyguy

Well, they offered me a deal to take a lesser charge. I initially declined it, however, with the protective order, I haven’t seen my newborn daughter for 6 months, she is one now. The trial hearing would have been set for sometime in September. The added cost of trial and the small chance of a guilty conviction was far too much to risk, so I accepted a deal to plead guilty to a misdemeanor. Very unfortunate but i felt it was time to concede and move forward. While it won’t be completely erased to some degrees, I can expunge this as it stands and have a chance to move forward and leave it in the past. Further, I miss my daughter to absolute death and couldn’t fathom another 3-4 months in waiting, and then risking going to jail for 1-2 years if found guilty. I’m told innocent folks go all the time. I learned more than a lot from this experience, now looking ahead

quincy

I think you were probably smart to do as you did. And I can certainly understand how hard it has been for you to be away from your daughter.

The court costs are unlikely to be ones you can recover. Again, though, a personal review can determine this better.

I hope life for you soon settles down and that you and your ex-wife together can coparent your daughter in a way that is best for her. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad